[caasp-beta] Service never gets external IP?

Flavio Castelli fcastelli at suse.com
Thu Jun 8 05:39:33 MDT 2017

On 06/05/2017 03:37 PM, Liam McCafferty wrote:
> https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/access-application-cluster/connecting-frontend-backend/
>

> changing all references of app/1vbeta1 to extensions/1vbeta1.
>

> However when using kubectl get service frontend I simply get met with an
> external IP of pending
>

> NAME       CLUSTER-IP      EXTERNAL-IP   PORT(S)        AGE
> frontend   172.21.74.246   <pending>     80:30111/TCP   9m

This happens because the service with type "loadbalancer" works only on
certain cloud providers.

When used on bare metal deployments (or virtualized environment that do
not support this service) you have two possibilities:

  * Use a NodePort:
https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/services-networking/service/#publishing-services---service-types
  * Use an ingress resource:
https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/services-networking/ingress/