[caasp-beta] [ANNOUNCE] SUSE CaaS Platform 4.0 Beta 3 is out!

SUSE Beta Program beta-programs at lists.suse.com
Mon Jun 24 06:18:49 MDT 2019

We are happy to announce the Beta 3 of SUSE CaaS Platform 4.0.

SUSE CaaS Platform 4.0 is built on top of SLE 15 SP1 and requires either
the JeOS[1] version shipped from the product repositories or a
regular SLE 15 SP1 installation.

Please note that SLE 15 SP1 is now officially out! Check out the
official announcement[2] for more information.

Thus you should not use a SLES 15 SP1 environment with the SLE Beta
Registration Code anymore. Because the SLE Beta Registration Code
has expired now, but you can either use your regular SLE Registration
Code or use a Trial.

Beta 3

SUSE CaaS Platform 4.0 makes use of skuba (a wrapper for kubeadm) to
bootstrap and update a cluster, making the whole process smoother,
stable and easier to automate. kubeadm replaces the admin node and the
salt states used in previous versions of SUSE CaaS Platform. Updates
are implemented with skuba-update, that makes use of the kured tool
and the SLE package manager.

That being said please check:

- Our Major Themes for SUSE CaaS Platform 4.0[3] on the dedicated beta
web page,
- Our Release Notes[4] for more information,
- Known Issues[5] for Beta 3.

Changes from Beta 2

- caaspctl has been renamed to skuba In Beta2, the tool for
bootstrapping a cluster was named caaspctl. From Beta3, this tool has
been renamed to skuba. This is not only a more aquatic name (in the
Kubernetes tradition), but also reflects our desire to make this tool
more generic.
- Beta 3 implements base OS upgrades. Non-interactive updates are
applied to nodes on a regular basis; updates that need a reboot (i.e.
kernel) will schedule not only the reboot of the node, but the needed
kubernetes orchestration. This is implemented in the skuba-update
tool which glues zypper and the kured tool
(https://github.com/weaveworks/kured).
- Deployment instructions for bare metal and how to deploy a
Centralized Logging node, for aggregating logs from all the nodes in
the kubernetes cluster.
- More Quality Assurance were done on Bare Metal installation.

For more details, see the Release Notes[6].

Beta Registration codes

You should not use a SLES 15 SP1 environment with the SLE Beta
Registration Code anymore. Because the SLE Beta Registration Code is
expired now but you can either use your regular SLE Registration Code
or use a Trial.

Registration is not working with your regular key, special Beta
Registration Code is required. You need to request one for SUSE CaaS
Platform 4.0 Beta Program by contacting us at
beta-programs at lists.suse.com[6].

Installation

Use the terraform package to install SUSE CaaS Platform. Refer to the
Deployment Guide[7].

Architecture and working features:

The architecture of SUSE CaaS Platform 4.0 is described here[8].

This build has been tested on SUSE OpenStack Cloud 8, VMware ESXi 6.7.0
and bare metal. We have validated the following features:

- Bootstrap a cluster
- Deploying with Terraform in SUSE OpenStack Cloud and VMware
- Deploying with autoyast for Bare Metal
- Adding and removing nodes
- Deploying, scaling, and exposing nginx:alpine image
- PodSecurityPolicy deployment and conformance
- Applying Base OS updates
- Centralized Logging

Please check our Release Notes[9] for most recent changes and Known
Issues[9].

Note that the product is not feature complete yet, we will continue to
improve it.

Beta Page ›[9]
Documentation ›[10]

Have fun beta testing!

Your SUSE CaaS Platform Team

Please refer to our dedicated SUSE CaaSP Beta Program[11] webpage for
any general information. However, do not hesitate to contact us at
beta-programs at lists.suse.com if you have any questions.

You received this email because you're signed up to get updates from
us. Click here to unsubscribe.[12]

[1]:https://www.suse.com/products/server/jeos/
[2]:https://www.suse.com/c/are-you-ready-for-the-worlds-first
-multimodal-operating-system/

[3]:https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/caasp-beta/#themes
[4]:https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/caasp-beta/#releasenotes

[5]:https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/caasp-beta/#knownissues
[6]:mailto:beta-programs at lists.suse.com?subject=Requesting%20
SUSE%20CaaSP%204.0%20Beta%20Registration%20Codes&body=Request
ing%20SUSE%20CaaSP%204.0

[7]:https://susedoc.github.io/doc-caasp/master/caasp-deployme
nt/single-html/

[8]:https://susedoc.github.io/doc-caasp/master/caasp-architec
ture/single-html/

[9]:https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/caasp-beta
[10]:https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/caasp-beta/#documentati
on

[11]:https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/caasp-beta/
20from%20SUSE%20CaaSP%20Beta&body=Unsubscribe%20from%20SUSE%2
0CaaSP%20Beta