[Deepsea-users] Teuthology is not for unit testing

Tim Serong tserong at suse.com
Mon Dec 5 00:55:17 MST 2016

On 12/03/2016 09:54 AM, Nathan Cutler wrote:
> Sorry I was not subscribed until just now.
>
> Let me say I heartily agree with the general direction of Ricardo's
> proposal, i.e. that automated PR validation testing is desirable/needed.
>
> Jan makes a good point that any meaningful testing of DeepSea requires
> that a Ceph cluster be deployed.
>
> Right now, DeepSea expects that cluster to be on a certain minimum
> number of nodes?

DeepSea's validate runner (invoked at the start of stage 3/deploy) will
fail if you've got less than three mon nodes and/or less than four
storage nodes.  AIUI this restriction was deliberately put in place to
discourage building tiny clusters :)

> I know it's possible to run a Ceph cluster on a single node. Can DeepSea
> do that kind of deployment right now? If not, what kind of modifications
> would be needed?

It might just be getting rid of those node count checks (or adding an
option to skip them, which could be enabled when running tests?)

> (The ability to deploy one- and two-node clusters would be useful for
> DeepSea to have, since many teuthology test cases are designed to run on
> such minimal configurations.)
>
> If the whole thing could run on a single VM, that (in my mind) would
> satisfy the definition of a unit test suite.

If I'm right about the node count checks being the only thing to change,
the minimum would probably be one VM, with one extra disk (or something
that looks like a disk) to use for an OSD.

--
Tim Serong
Senior Clustering Engineer
tserong at suse.com