[Deepsea-users] DeepSea 0.7.6

Joshua Schmid jschmid at suse.de
Sun Apr 23 20:20:44 MDT 2017

On 23/04/2017 15:50, Joao Eduardo Luis wrote:
> On 04/22/2017 02:43 PM, Eric Jackson wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>   DeepSea 0.7.6 has been released.  The notable feature is the rolling
>> upgrade.  With a running Ceph cluster, an admin can gracefully upgrade
>> the OS,
>> Salt and Ceph.  See my previous email about specifics.  The CHANGELOG
>> is listed
>> below:
>>
>> - Rolling upgrade
>
> I must say I'm a bit surprised seeing this today, just a single day
> after you gave a "heads up about a large PR to implement the rolling
> upgrade".
>
> Has this behemoth of a PR, with "81 commits and 55 files [...] Several
> of these [... being ...] new" been properly peer-reviewed and discussed?
>
> I ask this because upon checking the PR on github, as well as the merge
> commit, I see no discussion or reviews/Reviewed-by.
>
> It feels strange seeing such a large PR, with roughly 1.4k added lines,
> to be announced one day and merged the very next; especially without
> seeing any sort of involvement from anyone else (beside the authors).

The original commit #43 [https://github.com/SUSE/DeepSea/pull/43] has
quite some comments and was reviewed by Blain. It has been open for a
while now and plenty of discussions with various people have been held.
The fashion in which the Final PR #222 was merged doesn't look as well
reviewed, but it actually is only copy+addendum of #43/162.

> Additionally, I'm inclined to presume there were no other set of eyes on
> the PR due to commits such as
>
>   3dd3fe474df036ed4322b4d03da9d57934ac3baa
>
> which fixes a 'typo', and could have been squashed with the previous commit
>
>   7ca4dabbd2311a04eb39b03c2b29343970f7e476
>
> (which, in this case, would have reduced the number of commits in the
> patch set).

+1. I should've squashed them before.
We haven't talked about a PR squashing habit in deepsea, yet. But I'm in
favor of enforcing such a rule.

> And I have this feeling that many more like them are out there,
> considering some of the commit messages.
>
>   -Joao

Freundliche Grüße - Kind regards,
Joshua Schmid
SUSE Enterprise Storage
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nürnberg