[Deepsea-users] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Integration of DeepSea in a ceph-deploy based installation

Martin Weiss Martin.Weiss at suse.com
Wed Jan 25 00:25:01 MST 2017

> On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:30:25 AM Martin Weiss wrote:
>> How can we verify if the policy.cfg is matching the current deployment
>> without changing anything? Is there some sort of a "dry‑run"?
>
> I'll say this is unexplored.  Salt has two different methods of dry runs,
> but I
> do not know if either would give the desired result without trying it.

Ok - as long as we have this functionality before we drop / deprecate ceph-deploy I am fine ;-).
And - will give that a try once I find some time..

>> Regarding DeepSea vs. ceph‑deploy ‑ if we are on par or even have more
>> functionality in DeepSea I believe the only thing that we need to add to
>> DeepSea is a "migration method" for existing ceph‑deploy based clusters
>> before we can move away from ceph‑deploy. So getting the inventory,
>> building the policy.cfg and then comparing DeepSea with the existing
>> deployment with a "dry‑run" would be nice to have "automated" or in a
>> script... Btw. I do not need a "command line editor for ceph.conf"..
>
> Good to know about ceph.conf.  I'll say I may have to recruit someone for
> assimilating a ceph‑deploy cluster.  Otherwise, it's a little lower on the
> list.

We might not need a direct command line editor for ceph.conf - but we need a way to adjust any ceph.conf using Salt / DeepSea.
(not sure if that is already included)