[Deepsea-users] New storage profile proposals

Joshua Schmid jschmid at suse.de
Tue May 2 06:24:42 MDT 2017

On 04/28/2017 05:42 PM, Jan Fajerski wrote:
> Hi *,
> I have pushed the basic functionality of the new proposal process to
> this branch: https://github.com/SUSE/DeepSea/tree/propose-custom-ratios.
> I would like to encourage everyone to play with it a bit and share their
> experience.
>
> Most of the implementation is in the proposal runner and can be used
> without it interfering with the way things work currently. That being
> said, this new proposal process is not fit for productions usage just yet.
>
> To get the new runner and module run the following on the master:
> git clone https://github.com/SUSE/deepsea
> cd deepsea
> git checkout propose-custom-ratios
> make install
> salt '*' state.apply ceph.sync
>
> Now you can run 'salt-run proposal.peek' and the runner will return a
> storage profile proposal. This proposal can be influenced by a number of
> parameters. I have tried to document everything, which can be called via
> 'salt-run proposal.help'. Bare in mind, that this is still very much
> under development, so the docs might be incomplete or just not bring the
> point across very well. Also I don't do a lot of parameter validation
> just yet.

I think we are heading in the right direction with this. Using such a
descriptive way to define profiles will add more flexibility. After
playing with it on two different systems I was looking for an easy way
to find my journals{name, size, driver, type}. There are lots of quick
and easy ways of doing that of course, but I think it would be nice to
give the user a short preview of drives that he is being able to use.
Re-using a stripped down version of cephdisks.list is predestined as it
will correctly represent salt's view of the disks.

salt-run proposals.candidates

/dev/disk/by-id/xxxx/:
  size: 500G
  type: ssd
/dev/disk/by-id/xxxy/:
  size: 2TB
  type: hdd
/dev/disk/by-id/xxyy/:
  size: 50G
  type: nvme

By having a direct view on what deepsea knows about my system might also
reduce frustration related to wrong assumptions about presence of disks.

Allowing to provide a name/path to the 'journal' parameter would be
important if someone wants to target a specific disk if more than one
would match.

> After you have played around a bit with the peek method you can write
> out the proposal user 'salt-run proposal.populate'. This will write the
> storage profile files to /srv/pillar/ceph/proposal/profile-default/*.
>
> The proposal.populate method can be run multiple times. It will not
> overwrite existing files but with the help of that 'target' parameter
> you can create proposals for groups of minions (or even single minions).

Tuning on the commandline until you have the desired proposal is way
better than modifying files over and over again, imho.

> The idea is that the proposal runner is run multiple times to create
> storage profiles for every kind of OSD the cluster will have. E.g. a
> cluster might have some machines with NVME drives and SSDs and some
> machines with only spinners. To keep the runner fairly simple such a
> setup would be attacked by to runs of the proposal runner, one for the
> nvme/ssd storage profiles and one for the standalone profiles.
>
> I hope this all makes some kind of sense to anyone but me. I haven't yet
> had a chance to gain some distance to the code. I have discussed quite a
> few details with Eric so he might be someone who can help get people
> unstuck (sorry Eric;), since I will be out the coming week.

seems like a sane solution to me.

> Best,
> Jan

Freundliche Grüße - Kind regards,
Joshua Schmid
SUSE Enterprise Storage
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nürnberg