[Deepsea-users] DeepSea on CentOS 7

Ricardo Dias rdias at suse.com
Fri Nov 17 08:20:05 MST 2017

Hi,

Just a few more details about this...
The support for CentOS 7 is still experimental and it's not included
yet in the upstream project.

The sources can be found in
https://github.com/rjfd/DeepSea/tree/wip-centos

I've prepared a Vagrantfile to help with the testing. This vagrant
setup provisions 4 VMs with CentOS 7 and installs the necessary repos
for installing DeepSea. It also installs the latest Salt version,
deploys the salt-minions in all VMs, and installs the DeepSea RPM that
is available in:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/rjdias/home/packages/

You can check the provision steps inside the Vagrantfile.

The Vagrantfile is available in the following repo:
https://github.com/rjfd/vagrant-deepsea-centos.git

Clone the above repo, and then create a settings.yml file based on the
settings.sample.yml that is in the repo.

In the settings.yml you can specify if you want vagrant to also deploy
the Ceph cluster using DeepSea or if you want to run those steps
manually. The option is called "deploy_ceph".
By default, vagrant will not deploy the Ceph cluster automatically
(what would be the fun of that!).

When you are ready run:
$ vagrant up

After vagrant is finished with the provisioning of the VMs, access the
VM called "salt":
$ vagrant ssh salt

Switch to root:

$ sudo su -

Then run the following instructions to deploy a Ceph cluster and
additional services like RGW, NFS, etc...:

$ deepsea stage run ceph.stage.prep
$ deepsea stage run ceph.stage.discovery

# copy the auto generated policy.cfg that vagrant stored in /tmp
# and check it's contents to understand in which nodes is installed
# which services
$ cp /tmp/policy.cfg /srv/pillar/ceph/proposals

$ deepsea stage run ceph.stage.configure

# the env variable DEV_ENV is necessary because we are deploying
# Ceph in less than 4 storage nodes. In this setup only node1, node2,
# and node3 will store OSDs.
$ DEV_ENV=true deepsea stage run ceph.stage.deploy

$ DEV_ENV=true deepsea stage run ceph.stage.service

After the above instructions you ca check the status of your cluster:
$ ceph -s

I've prepared another demo where I run exactly the above steps.
The demo is available here:
https://asciinema.org/a/147996

Thanks,
Ricardo Dias

On Thu, 2017-11-16 at 18:48 +0100, Lenz Grimmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks to Ricardo Dias, we now have DeepSea running on CentOS 7 -
> thank you!
>
> Demo: https://asciinema.org/a/147812
>
> RPM packages: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/rjdias/home/pac
> kages/