[Deepsea-users] Bug with "/srv/salt/ceph/updates/restart/default.sls"

gna bla knighthoot at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 07:19:26 MDT 2018

Hello everyone,

For a small teat project, I was asked to try out OpenAttic with Ceph.
Obviously I decided to use DeepSea, as the OA docs suggested. I ran into a
bug in the file /srv/salt/ceph/updates/restart/default.sls.
My setup was 3 server, have been following your readme.md and everything
was fine and dandy until I had to execute
# salt-run state.orch ceph.stage.0
It spew a couple errors and together with my boss, we searched for a
solution. The problem was the file mentioned above, specifically it had
problems on line 3 with the "rpm" command. The default code didn't work for
us, so we tried a workaround mentioned here:
https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/43569#issuecomment-330209788

With this workaround the third line looks like this:
{% set installed = salt['cmd.run']('/bin/sh -c "rpm -q --last
kernel-default |head -1 |cut -f1 -d\ "') | replace('kernel-default-', '') %}

With the new code, everything worked fine.

I honestly don't know what causes this or why it fails me on exactly there
but the workaround helped.

I didn't mention this above, but with the original code I got some error
messages hinting to "rpm: -1: unknown" something like that. Seems like the
program was able to find the kernel version but unable to parse it. I could
be wrong on this one though as I am not a developer :-)

Thank you for taking your time and reading this.

Kind regards,
MrPiano