[sle-beta] [ANNOUNCE] SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 is now Beta 4!

SUSE Beta Program beta-programs at lists.suse.com
Thu Dec 14 05:26:33 MST 2017

Here comes Beta 4 of SUSE Linux Enterprise 15:
  SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES),
  SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED),
  SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability (SLE-HA),
  and SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extension (SLE-WE)

Download[1]

== Important
= ISOs availability:
At the time of this announcement, three isos images are still not
available for download:
- SLE-15-Packages-s390x-Beta4-DVD2.iso
- SLE-15-Packages-x86_64-Beta4-DVD2.iso
- SLE-15-Packages-x86_64-Beta4-DVD3.iso

These ISOs images are not needed for installation! but contain sources codes
and debuginfo packages. We are working on publishing them as soon as possible
but keep in mind that this shouldn't block you for your regular testing.
We are sorry for the inconvenience and will send a notice in the beta mailing
list when they will be available.

=Migration from SLE 12 to SLE 15:
With Beta 4, we are still not in an ideal state for the support of the different
Migration scenarios from SLE 12 to SLE 15. You can try it but it is not expected
to be smooth! Nevertheless do not hesitate to share your findings if you face
any issues, but keep in mind that we are working on it.
- Offline migration: With Beta 4, it is possible by using the "Installer" and
"Packages" isos.
- Online migration: Not possible with Beta 4, the SCC setup of the online
channels still needs adaptation. We hope to get this done for future beta
releases.

=Notable changes
- MariaDB: change default charset to utf8mb4 for full Unicode support(fate#324329)
The utf8 encoding of MariaDB only support Unicode codepoints up to
three bytes. The string would be truncated at the first encountered
codepoint that would be encoded with four bytes.
Solution:
The default encoding and collation of MariaDB was changed to utf8mb4
which supports all codepoints.
- Adding the following packages "build-compare rpmlint-Factory, kernel-obs-build,
post-build-checks,·brp-extract-appdata" in Development Tools Module with l2 support(bsc#1067645)
- We have started to enable Python3 instead of Python2. In future beta releases, Python2 packages
will be moved progressively to the Legacy Module.
So even if a python2-* package is still present we recommend not to expect it in the final release.
- Virtualization: We are moving our virtual machine management tooling from
python2 to python3 for SLE 15, in that matter, Beta4 contains a lot of changes.·
- openSSL 1.1.0 is now the default and used in the distribution. The old openSSL 1.0.0
will be provided in the final product in the Legacy module.
Some packages may still encounter issues.
- System roles are now available during SLED installation, but they are not final yet.

== More information
SLE Beta Page[2]
Release Notes[3]
Known Issues[4]

  Your SUSE Linux Enterprise Team

== Beta Program
Please refer to our dedicated SLE Beta Program webpage[1] for any general
information. However, do not hesitate to contact us at
beta-programs at lists.suse.com if you have any questions.

You received this email because you're signed up to get updates from us.
Please send an email to beta-programs at lists.suse.com if you want to
unsubscribe.

[1] https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/sle-beta/#download
[2] https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/sle-beta