[sle-beta] Has procedure for enabling multipathd to start on boot changed for SLES 15?

Vincent Moutoussamy vmoutoussamy at suse.com
Fri Dec 15 09:02:08 MST 2017

Hi,

> On 11 Dec 2017, at 17:34, Skaggs, Clayton <Clayton.Skaggs at netapp.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I’m having difficulty enabling dmmp to start on boot. The procedure from previous releases up through SLES 12 SP3 has this done by running ‘systemctl enable multipathd’ but doing this on a SLES 15 system throws the following output:
>
> ICTM1619S02H1:~ # systemctl enable multipathd
> Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/multipathd.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/multipathd.service.
> The unit files have no installation config (WantedBy, RequiredBy, Also, Alias
> settings in the [Install] section, and DefaultInstance for template units).
> This means they are not meant to be enabled using systemctl.
> Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
> 1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
>    .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
> 2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
>    a requirement dependency on it.
> 3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
>    D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).
> 4) In case of template units, the unit is meant to be enabled with some
>    instance name specified.
>
> I’ve been looking through the SLES 15 documentation available and haven’t seen anything about a change in multipath behavior at boot time. I was toying with entering a defect but thought I’d cast a line out to this distro before doing so in case this is expected behavior and the procedure has simply changed without  me knowing.
>
> Thanks,
> -Clayton

Please check that you can still reproduce your issue with Beta4 and if so please
create a bug report so we can investigate and answer you question.

Do not forget to provide a supportconfig in your bug report and reference your
bug number here in this mailing list thread.

Thank you,
Vincent Moutoussamy
SUSE Beta Program and SDK Project Manager