[sle-beta] Beta3 post install software installation

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Thu Nov 30 03:47:56 MST 2017

Thorsten and the group,
     Fair enough. What I am trying to do in this particular case is use
Openssl v1.1 to support building an application, and see if existing
apps could use it. The answer to the latter is typically no, of course,
as they are built against v1.0.2, which is a situation similar to using
the Security Channel of previous versions of SLES to supply a few key
apps built with another version of SSL. Building my own code needs SSL
v1.1 for checking matters, and that means both the library and the
headers (-devel bundle).
   Where matters become sticky is adding the -devel material, where YaST
decides that we must remove all of the earlier SSL material (thus the
earlier library as well). I think that is a step too far in the
dependency resolution problem, where there is conflict only about the
-devel part. This seems to be readily curable by a script tweak or two.
     So far, the running of apps is indeed supported by symlink
libssl.so and we can install multiple libssl's. I point the symlink at
an active library. Building an application with other than the stock SSL
runs into difficulties because adding a more recent SSL -devel part
causes wider spread trouble.

     Next there are the certificates. Right now this seems to be a
muddle. I have two Beta 3 machines set up, one with the choice of SSL
v1.1 and the second with the stock SSL v1.0.x. The first has experienced
the discussed problems, and the second does work reasonably well. The
certificate blockage does seem to be a dependency criteria which I have
not decoded.
     Here is a screen capture of one case: on the SSL v1.1 (first)
machine.  In YaST ask to install the ca-certificates RPM material, and
the conflict resolution screen shown below appears:

     It says that to obtain the CA cert material I also must remove SSL
v1.1, for unknown reasons. The best that I can guess is there is some
hidden agent which is built against SSL v1.0.x which wants to be a
guardian of such certs and can't work with SSL v1.1.  Just where I would
place my regular cert material is uncertain as there is no corresponding
area in either /etc/ssl nor /var/lib. Note that for this report's tests
I have pointed the libssl.so symlink at the SSL v1.0.x library, thusly:

Note the date stamp on that symlink as it shows I modified it yesterday
for this test.

     Next, the software update error messages on the SSL v1.1 machine.
Four screen captures.
     The first is visiting YaST Online Update:

     Skipping the Autorefresh produces this curl error 60 popup:

     Then if one issues command   zypper lu  the screen shows many lines
such as this one:

or the same but in a terminal session in the GUI:

All are saying the CA cert is not available, which we know from the CA
problem above, and indeed there is no CA cert area.

     From my vantage a couple of comments.
     First, have the usual CA bundle be present/installable, regardless
of OpenSSL versions. That takes some detective work at the SUSE end to
resolve. Then Curl, Apache, zypper et al would stand a chance of running
against at minimum a self signed cert or more normally against a user
supplied set. Swapping a symlink for development is the manager's choice.
     Second, the /etc/ssl grouping of cert material makes good sense.
This goes against the unfortunate LSB grain of scattering things all
over. The reason is to get at the certificate material (as we must these
days) in a simple easy to remember fashion and avoid being tripped up by
symlinks hiding elsewhere. It's usage in the field which is important, a
people and management time concern.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.