[sle-beta] SLESv15 Beta1

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Tue Oct 31 02:58:48 MDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, Waite, Dick (External) wrote:

> We need the application running on SLES15 as it does on SLES12 *FIRST*, so
> please next Beta give us the tools to Beta check your grand new SLES from
> an application point of view, let us move / copy / migrate / UPDATE what
> ever to the new SLES, a new install is only need for newbe's ;o) and I
> don't think you have many of them on your Beta list.

I cannot say anything about the testers on this list, but since I made a lot
of talks about migration from SLE11 to SLE12 at that time, the feedback I
got everywhere and always was:
- managers want to migrate, because they think this is much cheaper, faster
  and easier than a fresh installation
- but over 90% of admins do a fresh installation, because:
  - they want all new features
  - fresh installation is much faster than updating
  - they want to make sure they don't have old code flying around
  - they are not interested in spending hours over hours in debugging
    migration issues
  - they want something reproduceable for desaster recovery
  - they don't want to shutdown a service for migration, instead they
    install the new machine and if that's working, shutdown the old one

And additional, you will not start with update tests if you don't have the
confidence that the new product is well enough tested and you know the
problems. Else you never know, if a problem is a migration issue or a
problem of the new product.

  Thorsten