[sle-beta] Beta 5, initial impressions

Jiri Srain jsrain at suse.cz
Wed Jan 24 03:10:20 MST 2018

Hello Joe,

On 24.1.2018 10:22, Joe Doupnik wrote:
>     SLES 15 beta 5. My overall impression thus far is good, and the
> system works as an ESXi guest in my case.
>     A few comments about it.
>     A fresh installation of beta 5 would not boot: no O/S found. Some
> use of Recovery and Update menus to view and refresh disk partitioning
> and initrd brought this under control. I must have made a silly error
> somewhere in this familiar process. A guess is I defined a /boot
> partition, type EXT2 so there is no journal to be replayed, and not
> using the offered EFI choice. Root is XFS. Unless others encounter a
> similar problem this will remain as a local fluke.

Hard to guess from this information, anyway: As you mentioned EFI, you
need to have a /boot/efi partition formatted as MS-DOS, otherwise the
EFI firmware will not boot.

Having (additional) /boot with ext2 should not hurt, although I don't
see a use for it.

With Beta6, you should get a warning when you do a mistake in
partitioning that should prevent booting.

Jiri