[sle-beta] packages of minimal vs. base

Vincent Moutoussamy vmoutoussamy at suse.com
Tue Jan 30 01:46:37 MST 2018

Hi,
> On 28 Jan 2018, at 00:00, Bernd <ecki at zusammenkunft.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> what would be a command to compare the packages installed with minimal (no package DVD) vs. base-module and text-mode pattern in SLES15?

This is not exactly right, minimal here in your sentence mean the Installer.
However "The scope of an installation, only containing the base system, is
comparable to the installation pattern minimal system of previous SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server versions.”
(cf https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/sles_installquick_20171221.pdf).
So Installer + Basesystem Module = minimal system.

The installer alone for us is not intend to be used as a “minimal system"!

> It looks to me like the minimal system would be enough to run applications, is that actually supported/intended or should the base module always be present (for SLES).

Well for “minimal system” we already provide and support JeOS. Did you take a
look at it?

> BTW: in minimal I missed "sudo" and "less", both packages seem to be on the installer media and can manually be installed. Is there a policy on what will be on installer CD but not in minimal?
> Greetings
> Bernd

Vincent Moutoussamy
SUSE Beta Program and SDK Project Manager