[sle-beta] When Migrating from SLES12 to SLES15 ....

Waite, Dick (External) Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Tue Mar 6 10:26:55 MST 2018

I was thinking of the amends one can do if the system is not mounted, which are quite helpful. Agreed one does not want to be running backup-reload in a migration, but while the LVM's are not mounted there are a number of operations one can do which might be handy in the SLES15 configuration. Agreed one can use a "rescue" environment and do much the same, but while you have a working environment running the migration, why not take advantage....

"So a fresh installation is really much faster." This may be true for the OS but it might take a few weeks to install and configure all the applications needed to make this a working system.  I was thinking you could add some disks and add them into the LVM and configure them. In a new install there are grand tools accessible during the install, which I would image are also available in a migration. Again you could do this in a service slot, but if it's there in the migration it's a nice bonus point... One up on the Red team.

__R