[sle-beta] UUDI not tested - Wrong Hostname updated --cleanup

Waite, Dick (External) Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Sat Mar 10 04:49:26 MST 2018

Grand Saturday,

You clone rjw08-12-3-0 to rjw08-15-0-0 and hostnamectl to the new host name. It's got a new IP so one could think rjw08-12-3-0 and rjw08-15-0-0 are two unique virtual machines, why even their UUID's are different.....

On rjw08-15-0-0 I was surprised when a SUSEConnect --status-text gave output...

On the display behind me I had a ssc.suse.com running, I used the systems display to see what "rjw08" virtual machines were doing, rjw08-12-3-0 had an update time stamp, this good machine was very much off-line, it had not been used for many a day. There was no entry for rjw08-15-3-0, magic thinks I ..

A look at /etc/zypp/credentials.d/SCCcredentials shows USERNAME and PASSWORD of the good old rjw08-123-0 -- now yes a --cleanup will remove that name, but I would also expect a check to make sure you are working on the rjw08-15-0-0 host with it's UUID and if you get back a different host / UUID then a WARNING telling the good person, you are not interacting with your current host on the SCC. Maybe part of "hostnamectl --set-hostname" has a similar effect as  --cleanup, having two machines with the same hostname is the same issues of having code with the same name...

Knowing this I have now Migrated a number of virtual machines, but I think that simple check of "is this the right host?" would have save a lot of heartache. You can also have two machine in the SCC with the same hostname, different UUID's and different SCC USERNAME and PASSWORD, why would you wont that ?

Why not use the machines UUID as the SCC USERNAME, then you are sure to be sure your talking to who you think you are, well better than now.

Now for an afternoon a good Rugby.

__R

Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Eric Duffaut, Dr. Wolfram Jost, Arnd Zinnhardt, Dr. Stefan Sigg; - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Andreas Bereczky - http://www.softwareag.com