[sle-beta] Apache with TLS 1.3?

Matthias Eckermann mge at suse.com
Wed Jul 10 07:21:04 MDT 2019

Hello Andreas and all,

On 2019-07-10 T 13:04 +0200 Andreas Vetter wrote:

> I see in the changelog openssl will support TLS 1.3.  What about
> apache?

that's a valid question, however, SUSE is "between a rock and a hard
place" here: implementing TLS 1.3 in Apache requires to recompile (at
least) mod_ssl, and this will then trigger always the new openssl
version to be required by rpm dependencies.

While this sounds good for many people, we have customers, where an
"unplanned" version upgrade leads to major delays in deploying a service
pack; think of highly regulated environments, where you certify the
exact package version --Stupid? Maybe! Reality? Definitely!

We iwill come back to this question later this summer.

So long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann, Director Product Management Linux Platforms
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH - Maxfeldstrasse 5 - 90409 Nuernberg