[sle-beta] SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 1 GMC3!

Kai Dupke KDupke at suse.com
Mon Jun 3 07:31:26 MDT 2019

Thank you for your input, see in-line below.

On 31.05.19 22:27, ecki at zusammenkunft.net wrote:
> Probably not relevant for this SP, but a General Observation:
>
>   * The package DVD should be bootable, no Need to juggle with two „medias“ for
>     offline

The idea behind the 2 medias is that most customers install with some
sort of on-line resource, be it directly via SCC or more common with a
proxy solution like RMT resp. SUSE Manager, or with a self setup local
source. The second media is intend to use in the case where a full
disconnected installation is needed and no local resource nor proxy is
used. I call this the submarine approach.

Of course, beyond submarines, there is another group doing single
installs and as such do not want to set up an on-line resource, and
instead using straight (and regularly) the packages media - that is beta
customers and developers.

We are looking to improve this, most like by making the packages media
bootable. Unfortunately this is something for SP2.

In the time in between, you might want to look at
https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse-best-practices/sbp-sle15-custom-installation-medium/data/sbp-sle15-custom-installation-medium.html

This does not help with the one-off type of installation, but might help
with other production setups.

>   * The fact that disk1-3 needs explanations (and the fact that install+packeg x
>     Disc1-3 creates a big combination) „src“ + „debuginfo“ should really be
>     included in the file names to make it intuitively understandable

This is part of the download pages and the product documentation. We
will review the text to make sure it is clear what image is needed for
what.

NB: debuginfo media is not available as a generic download.

I will create a feature request to look into the name of the medias, to
make them more intuitive (and before someone ask, to drop the 'DVD' in it).

> When installing offline from the package DVD it Looks like the user is a bit
> left alone with no module descriptions and no Default selection (base+sles+app).
> Thats really not very clear. Allso the „AddOn“ does not detect a second DVD
> media automatically and it is displayed two times so ist not clear if it wants a
> second add on or just confirmation.

As the selection is based on the registration code and the feedback by
the SCC/RMT/SUSE Manager this data isn't available when not doing
on-line installation.

We are aware of this and we are looking into making this more
convenience in the future.

Best regards,
Kai Dupke
Senior Product Manager
SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
--
Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
Phone:  +49-(0)5102-9310828     Mail: kdupke at suse.com
Mobile: +49-(0)173-5876766      WWW:  www.suse.com

SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)