[sle-beta] [ANNOUNCE] SLE 15 SP2 Schedule and Closing the (openSUSE) Leap Gap

SUSE Beta Program beta-programs at lists.suse.com
Fri Apr 17 04:20:43 MDT 2020

We are finally able to clarify the SLE 15 SP2 Beta Schedule and announce
an exciting new project, called Closing the Leap Gap.

SLE 15 SP2 Beta Schedule

First thing first, you will find below the new schedule and
milestones:

-
Public Beta - Feb 07, 2020
- Public Release Candidate 1 - April 24, 2020
- Public Release Candidate 2 - May 15, 2020
- Public Gold Master Candidate - June 15, 2020
- First Customer Shipment - End of July 2020

The main change is the move of the FCS from end of June to end of July, and
this allows us to provide a second Public Release Candidate!

Of course this doesn't affect our weekly updates provided in our
Online Channels[1] until GMC.

Now if you wonder why we are making changes to our schedule, please read
below.

Closing the Leap Gap

On April 9th 2020, we were thrilled and excited to send a proposal[2] to
our openSUSE community about bringing openSUSE Leap[3] and SUSE
Linux Enterprise even closer together!

For 8 years, we were offering SLE's sources for usage in openSUSE Leap,
but now after getting the openSUSE community's approval, we want to
offer pre-built binaries from SLE in addition to the sources, to
increase compatibility and to leverage synergies.

This idea/project is internally called Closing the Leap Gap.

We highly recommend you to read the full announcement[4] made on the
openSUSE Mailing List, and read the Closing the Leap Gap FAQ[4] for
more informations.

Please rest assured that nothing disruptive is planned for neither
SLE 15 SP2 nor openSUSE Leap 15.2. However while investigating the
consolidation of SLE code base with openSUSE Leap, we noticed aspects
that require simplification and clean-up in our SLE packages before a
release. These changes will improve supportability, code stability
and also make it easier for third-party vendors to develop in a
cross-platform fashion for SLES and openSUSE Leap.

Thus we have committed engineering ressources to get this done
properly, and had to delayed our SLE 15 SP2 schedule to make sure that we
have additional time to implement, review, test any changes. Overall
this will help us improve the quality of SLE 15 SP2 and decrease the
number of potential maintenance updates at FCS.

Last but not least, we are at your disposal if you have any comments! And
will be glad to have discussions with you.

More information

Announcement ›[5]
FAQ ›[5]
openSUSE Leap ›[5]
SLE Beta Page ›[5]

Contact

If you have _ANY_ concerns, doubts, inquiry, etc please contact
beta-programs at lists.suse.com.

Your SUSE Linux Enterprise Team

Do not hesitate to contact us at beta-programs at lists.suse.com if you
have any questions.

Click here to unsubscribe.[6]

[1]:https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/sle-beta/#faq-reg
[2]:https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2020-04/msg00
002.html

[3]:https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap
[4]:https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap/FAQ/ClosingTheLeapGap

[5]:https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/sle-beta/
0from%20SLE%20Beta&body=Unsubscribe%20from%20SLE%20Beta