[sle-beta] --Allow-Vendor-Change

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Mon Feb 10 03:39:50 MST 2020

On Mon, Feb 10, Waite, Dick (External) wrote:

> Many thanks to the off-line people comments.
>

> It seems there are many many files that want --Allow-Vender-Change and I'd like
> to know how to give them this without putting a tick in each box...
>

> I have added a couple of pictures this time, worth a thousand words.
>

> Strange up to now Migration was an issue, that has gone well so far, now it's
> the old UPDATE that seems show a rebellious nature.
>

> Thoughts and comments very welcome.

You have a lot of outdated stuff installed, like SuSEfirewall2.
They are no longer provided and supported by SUSE, but there are
newer versions in the PackageHub.

There is no way around for you then to manual clean up and decide:
1. stay with the old version from SUSE.
2. go with the new PackageHub (openSUSE) version (*but without support from us*)
3. Cleanup your system before and switch to the new supported solutions,
   like migrate from SuSEfirewall2 to firewalld.

There is no way for an automated updated, as this are decissions which an
algorithm cannot make.

It's always a very good idea to run "zypper pa --orphaned" to get a list of
orphaned packages and clean this list up before you do a migration.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS
Managing Director: Felix Imendoerffer (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)