Latest beta - chronyd / FIPS mode issue (resend to mail list)

Malcolm malcolmlewis at cableone.net
Mon Apr 5 12:41:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, 05 Apr 2021 07:51:31 -0400
"Kevin Salisbury" <Kevin.Salisbury at twinmro.com> wrote:

> I have confirmation of a carryover chronyd bug from SP2 into SP3
> (bugzilla number 1173760).
>
> Steps to reproduce;
> - Built a new x86_64 SLES15 SP3 Beta box and updated.
> - Setup an internal time source for chronyd on install both manually
> and with autoyast - no issues. Time is fine.
> - Install FIPS pattern, and set grub bootloader kernel boot option
> 'fips=1' and restart
> - chronyd fails to load with internal time source. If a public time
> source is used for chronyd, it seems to load fine (but of course, one
> can't use a public source if servers are not supposed to see the
> internet or are "air gapped").
>
> We suspect there needs to be something else done on the internal time
> source, or a local configuration change not documented for FIPS
> systems; we've tried several different internal time clock sources
> and manual edits of chronyd configurations -- nothing seems to work.
> The issue does not exist on SLES 12 systems. Curious to know if
> others in FIPS environments have seen this behavior with SLE 15 and
> if there's a workaround...(it seems that we are missing something
> very simple, admittedly we are not experts with chronyd yet, but so
> far SUSE support can replicate the issue - but has no solution for us
> either).
>
> This post is FYI only. This is a known issue, although not documented
> in the readme, it's going to limit deployment in many regulated
> environments...
>
> Kevin

Hi
Not a chrony expert or FIPS user either, but am using the aarch64 (RPi3)
SLES 15 SP3 for a local time source with gps/pps/rtc which is working
great.

Have you run makestep, is the time in use UTC, timedatectrl looks good,
cmos battery ok, are the pools disabled (/etc/chrony.d/pool.conf?

Changed the stratum level?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20210330 | GNOME Shell 3.38.3 | 5.11.6-1-default