systemd obsolete / legacy warnigns

Vincent Moutoussamy vmoutoussamy at suse.com
Tue May 11 15:44:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

Since the initial report, we are working on fixing all the warnings but to summarise:
the updated systemd-version in 15 SP3 prints now deprecation-warnings for outdated options and paths.

Namely, there are two warnings:

- systemd complains about PID- and temp-files located in /var/run/,
 which only is a symlink to /run/ since at least SLE 12 SP2
- The flag StandardOutput=/StandardError=syslog is deprecated and
 automatically falls back to "journal". This is already the case since
 systemd v210, but it only started to complain about it since v246.
 Therefore syslog should be replaced with journal or the line should be
 removed altogether.

Both are already the default for quite some time, but the 15SP3 systemd version (v246) just started to output messages.

We have opened internal bugs for all services/packages affected by this, however most of them will be fixed as a maintenance updates after the official release of 15SP3.

As a reminder this issues are not urgent or critical, it’s only a warning.
Nevertheless we should have spotted them way earlier so we could have a chance to fix them all during the beta program.
That being said, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a nice day,

Vincent Moutoussamy
SUSE Beta Program Manager
JeOS Technical Project Manager