[Sle-hpc] Microservices and HPC

Nicolas Bock nicolas.bock at suse.com
Wed May 31 19:02:51 MDT 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 10:31:52PM +0000, David Byte wrote:
>I’ve been chewing on this for a bit and thought I’d throw the question into the wild.  Has anyone heard or seen a customer or partner thinking about HPC from a microservices perspective?  E.g. can you break down genetic sequencing, CFD, etc into bite sized chunks where microservices may enable a more flexible plug and play type environment?  The end result being an IFTTT process for building HPC workflows?

Hi David,

In principle I don't see why one couldn't map a scientific
application onto microservices, however, I think whether this
makes sense depends on what kind of latencies we can expect for a
microservice based implementation. Can this compete even somewhat
closely to a traditional HPC Infiniband fabric?

Best,

Nick