[sles-beta] Puppet Version

Mark Gardner markgard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 06:57:50 MST 2013

>  We use our own built package oem-puppet-2.7.19-x.x.norach.rpm /
> oem-puppet_2.7-x.x.all.deb here.
> OK we do need the same version on SLES, Debian & RHEL  in our environment,
> this was a center point.****
>
> ** **
>
> There are really a lot of changes between puppet-2.6 and puppet-2.7.x,
> where backward compatibility is not necessarily given.****
>
> Backward compatibility, that is the problem:  enterprise release stands
> for long term backward compatibility****
>
> **

I 100% agree with you.  That is why I thought the 2.7 version (instead of
the latest 3.x version) would be an appropriate jump at a Service Pack
Release instead of a mid-cycle release.  The SUSE team has generally been
more agressive with software versions than other companies; that's why we
love them.

My concern is 2.6 is no longer in development and is nearing it's End of
Life where not even security patches will be available.

I would be ok if the 2.7 versions were included in the SDK, just so I have
an upgrade path when puppetlabs pulls the plug.  Putting the 2.7 version in
the SDK would also give people an opportunity to test their current puppet
scripts/modules against the SUSE provided packages instead of downloading
the tarball from puppet labs (puppet does not provide rpms for SLES that
aren't part of the enterprise puppet version)

--

   ~ Mark
         Gardner ~