[sles-beta] few things to note after my first install

Decker Maximilian Maximilian.Decker at cancom.de
Sun Feb 24 10:25:27 MST 2013

Hi list,

regarding the lack of (supported) ext4, just out of curiosity -
what exactly is SuSE's reason behind obviously abandoning ext4,
which by now is a well known, fast and proven evolution to ext3 ?

Of course, BTRFS really is the cool new stuff, and it seems like
it will become an amazing alternative. But to be honest none of our
SLES customers is actually running BTRFS in their datacenters yet.
Some lab or testing installations do exist, though, however bottom
line is - for production systems we are effectively stuck with ext3.
(sometimes even due to missing support from 3rd party SW vendors)

If I understand correctly ext4 might also be missing in SLES 12.
And I know there are plenty of discussions on this matter all around
the internet, but hey, I hope with the current Beta maybe SuSE can
shed some official light on that. Really would be great to know.

Please don't get me wrong, I know there are quite a bunch of brilliant
developers at SuSE that are giving their blessings to the current
state of BTRFS, and we also got official SuSE support on that, but it
just does not help "in the field".... people still consider it beta.

thanks,

- Maximilian