[sles-beta] Vsftpd in the DVDs

David Boyes dboyes at sinenomine.net
Mon Feb 25 08:50:32 MST 2013

> > Pure-ftpd doesn't implement FTPS (SSL protected FTP, *not* sftp), and
> almost uniformly, non-Unix platforms that rely on FTP for secure file
> transfer require FTPS.
> pure-ftpd itself claims that it has support for this latest with 1.0.22 (what
> we have).

Thanks for mentioning it. There are two variants of FTPS; one that implicitly wraps the whole transaction in a SSL wrapper, and one that explicitly negotiates the SSL wrapper for data connections on a per-connection basis. A quick test seems to show that Pure-FTP implements the former (using the cookbook you provided the pointer to);  z/OS and Tandems (and a lot of PII auditors) seem to require the latter.

In any case, we'd still prefer to use the same FTP server on the desktops that we use on the servers. Why not just provide the vsftpd RPM on the SLED DVD and let us choose?  If you want to make pure-ftpd the default for SLED, OK, but then we should discuss doing the same for SLES.