[sles-beta] Issues I saw after several installs and some configuration

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Fri Mar 1 04:37:34 MST 2013

Summarizing the german discussion: there are issues
with installing via USB Media, which are not limited
to the Fujitsu KVM s4-1622, but also occur with USB in
general. The situation is worse thouhg with a KVM, as
it cannot be "removed" manually (as a stick could).

I suggest that you open a Service Request about this
general issue.  While I am not sure, if we can fix it
for all situations (there is some interaction with
BIOS, sort orders, ...), we should at least document
in the Release Notes, how this could be workarounded.

Thanks in advance!

so long -
	MgE

On 2013-03-01 T 12:20 +0100 Klaus Gmeinwieser wrote:
> Hallo Herr Wilck,
>
> das passiert auch bei Verwendung des USB Stick alleine. Bei
> "normalen" Maschinen ist der angegebene Workaround verwendbar, bei
> fest verkabelten Servern ist das in der Weise nicht machbar.
>
> Problem ist, dass das erste sichtbare USB Medium als erste Festplatte
> gesehen/verwendet und damit SLES auch dorthin installiert wird (was
> wegen mangelndem Plattenplatz natürlich schief geht).
>
> Der KVM-Switch sollte hier nicht das Problem sein...
>
> Gruß
> Klaus Gmeinwieser
>
> Am 28.02.2013 18:18, schrieb Martin Wilck:
> >Hallo Herr Gmeinwieser,
> >
> >>Most annoying issue was impossible unattended installation of my rack
> >>systems connected to a Fujitsu KVM s4-1622. This KVM is emulating USB
> >>remote storage and YaST wants to install the system on this USB media if
> >>using "autoyast=usb" to import the control file from a USB media.
> >>
> >>The only possibility to get SLES installed is to disconnect the switch
> >>and to directly connect keyboard and mouse and to use a workaround to
> >>connect the USB stick earliest after YaST asks for it.
> >
> >Eine Frage dazu: Passiert das nur mit dem KVM S4, oder auch zB mit einer
> >direkten angesteckten USB Platte oder USB Stick?
> >
> >Gruß
> >Martin Wilck
> >

> --
> Klaus Gmeinwieser
>
> email: klaus.gmeinwieser at oce.com
> voice: +49 8121 72 4358
>
> Océ Printing System GmbH - A Canon Group Company
>
> This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.
>
> Thank you for your co-operation.

Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Maxfeldstraße 5          90409 Nürnberg Germany