[sles-beta] SLES Storage / MD RAID feature

Decker Maximilian Maximilian.Decker at cancom.de
Fri Mar 15 09:48:23 MDT 2013

Hi Lars,

first of all thanks for your answer.

I'm talking about some sort of visually dumping the bitmap including the PVs involved.
So, you are right, I am basically asking for a way to show which regions in the md bitmap are marked dirty.

On HP-UX, this looks something like: (sample taken from host based RAID 1 over two datacenters)

<.....>
   --- Logical extents ---
   LE       PV1                     PE1      Status 1 PV2                     PE2      Status 2
   00000000 /dev/disk/disk84        00000018 current  /dev/disk/disk86        00000018 current
   00000001 /dev/disk/disk85        00000018 current  /dev/disk/disk87        00000018 current
   00000002 /dev/disk/disk84        00000019 current  /dev/disk/disk86        00000019 current
<.....>

This way you can see that e.g. logical extent No. 0 (LE) is on PV disk84 and disk86 and this specific
extent is in sync ("current"). On large volumes you get quite a long list here, but that is on purpose.

It really is a cool way so actually "see" the status and physical location of each extent. Especially
if a LV is spread among lots of PVs this information is quite vital.
Also, you can get a transparent view on how far a re-sync progress already finished.

IMHO the ability to manually re-sync parts of the RAID or specific extents is not really necessary as with
a md bitmap in use only the dirty parts are re-synced automatically, providing a decent nice solution here.

Ok and we cannot really compare the two platforms here as they differ quite a lot behind the scenes, but I
think some way of getting such detailed information out of the md bitmap should be possible.

- Maximilian