[sles-beta] SLES11-SP3 RC1 question concerning zypper dist-upgrade when upgrading from SLES11-SP2, why additional 32bit libraries on a x86_64 bit server?

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Wed May 1 09:30:48 MDT 2013

Hi

I am doing SLES11-SP3 upgrade testing from SLES11-SP2 x86_64 to SLES11-SP3 RC1 x86_64
I installed SLES11-SP2 base pattern, to latest patch-update

When invoking zipper dist-upgrade, I can see that some new packages get installed. So far OK.
What worries me, that there are new libraries-32 being installed.
I mean, when having a pure x86_64 SLES11-SP2 64bit installation, why get 32bit libraries newly installed?
So is there any idea why I get libgcc43-32bit & libgcc_s1-32bit & libstdc++43-32bit & libstdc++6-32bit 32bit libraries in addition?

Here what I see when issuing : /usr/bin/zypper --non-interactive dist-upgrade --auto-agree-with-licenses
Reading installed packages...
Removed 0 locks.
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Reading installed packages...
Computing distribution upgrade...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
  libgcc43 libgcc43-32bit libgcc_s1 libgcc_s1-32bit libgomp1 libgomp43 liblzmadec0 libstdc++43 libstdc++43-32bit libstdc++6 libstdc++6-32bit lzma perl-Module-Build perl-Test-Simple release-notes-sles ruby-devel

The following packages are going to be upgraded:
  OpenIPMI aaa_base acpid augeas-lenses autoyast2 autoyast2-installation bash bash-doc binutils brocade-firmware checkmedia cpp43 cpupower crash crash-sial desktop-translations device-mapper efibootmgr elilo ethtool fontconfig gcc43 gdb glib2 glib2-lang glibc glibc-32bit glibc-devel glibc-i18ndata glibc-locale grub hwinfo insserv inst-source-utils iproute2 irqbalance kdump kernel-default kernel-default-base kernel-default-devel kernel-firmware kernel-source kexec-tools keyutils keyutils-libs klogd kpartx libaugeas0 libblkid1 libgcc46 libgcc46-32bit libglib-2_0-0 libgobject-2_0-0 libgomp46 libgthread-2_0-0 libldap-2_4-2 libldapcpp1 libreadline5 libstdc++46 libstdc++46-32bit libtalloc2 libudev0 libuuid1 libzypp linux-kernel-headers lvm2 makedumpfile mcelog mdadm microcode_ctl mkinitrd module-init-tools multipath-tools nfsidmap nscd openldap2-client openssh parted pciutils-ids perl perl-Bootloader perl-Config-IniFiles perl-base perl-doc pmtools postfix readline-doc rsync rubygems sg3_utils sles-release sles-release-DVD smartmontools sudo supportutils suse-build-key suseRegister suspend sysconfig syslinux sysstat udev util-linux util-linux-lang uuid-runtime xen-kmp-default xorg-x11-libxcb yast2 yast2-add-on yast2-bootloader yast2-dirinstall yast2-dns-server yast2-installation yast2-iscsi-client yast2-kdump yast2-kerberos-client yast2-ldap yast2-ldap-client yast2-mail yast2-mail-plugins yast2-ncurses yast2-network yast2-nfs-client yast2-nis-server yast2-ntp-client yast2-online-update yast2-online-update-frontend yast2-packager yast2-pkg-bindings yast2-registration yast2-registration-branding-SLE yast2-samba-client yast2-samba-server yast2-security yast2-slp yast2-squid yast2-storage yast2-storage-lib yast2-tftp-server yast2-trans-en_US yast2-update yast2-users yast2-vm yast2-wagon zlib zypper zypper-log

The following product is going to be upgraded:
  SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3

The following packages are going to be downgraded:
  gzip libpcap0 libxslt yast2-ldap-server

The following packages are not supported by their vendor:
  liblzmadec0 lzma ruby-devel rubygems

147 packages to upgrade, 4 to downgrade, 16 new.
Overall download size: 228.3 MiB. After the operation, additional 33.0 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y
Automatically agreeing with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 product license.

Thanks for your feedback

Best regards
Urs Frey
Die Schweizerische Post