[sles-beta] [ANNOUNCE] KDE5 available for SLE12 SP1 users, through openSUSE:Backport repository

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Mon Jun 20 06:37:11 MDT 2016

Dear SLE12 SP2 beta testers,

even if this message is not about SP2 beta tests, it is still a follow
-up on SP1 beta tests and we thought it might interest some of you.

A lot of people have been asking for it for a long time and after
months of work, we can announce it: KDE5 is now available for SLE12 SP1
 x86_64 users, through openSUSE:Backport repository.

First, for people wondering, those packages are NOT SUPPORTED by SUSE
but they should not affect supportability of SLE system (we have a lot
of policies in place in Backports to ensure that).

Second, those packages are only to be used on SLE12 SP1. They will not
work on SLE12 SP2.

How to install KDE5 on SLE12 SP1:

To install KDE5 on SLES or SLED 12 SP1 systems, SDK needs to be
enabled, either through yast or using SUSEConnect:

sudo SUSEConnect -p sle-sdk/12.1/x86_64

All maintenance update from SLE12 SP1 must be applied (this includes an
update to Qt5 which is mandatory for KDE5) :
sudo zypper patch

Then, you need to add openSUSE:Backport repositories to the system:

sudo zypper addrepo -fc
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Backports:/SLE-12/s
tandard/openSUSE:Backports:SLE-12.repo
sudo zypper addrepo -fc
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Backports:/SLE-12-S
P1/standard/openSUSE:Backports:SLE-12-SP1.repo
sudo zypper refresh

Then, you install KDE pattern (other patterns are available):

sudo zypper in -t pattern kde

And that's it.

Enjoy and happy testing (as always).

--