[sles-beta] Getting KDE running

David Boyes dboyes at sinenomine.net
Thu Feb 27 07:45:16 MST 2014

For people who use GUIs on servers, historically, KDE has been the most similar to other Unix variants providing a GUI environment. For compatibility reasons, many people who move between multiple environments in our shops and in customer shops use KDE to minimize the differences in the environments. Removing KDE entirely forces these people to deal with a massively different environment for essentially no really good reason, and it's a major productivity hit.

We've got no problem with making GNOME the default option; removing the possibility to run a KDE environment is a serious barrier to adoption. At minimum, the client applications and libraries are a requirement.

I've started our build farm on building KDE from source on SLES 12. Should take a week or so, but I should have a fully working KDE to distribute.