[sles-beta] SLES12 question: can gcc/g++ compile for i586 (32-bit) platform

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Mar 5 02:37:37 MST 2014

We got asked offlist, whether the toolchain can compile for 32-bit ix86
and I'd like to answer here.

As discussed in the initial beta call, SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 12 is targeting 64-bit systems. We also
do support the execution of 32-bit x86 applications on
x86-64 SLES systems by providing the respective shared
libraries and tools necessary for a 32-bit run-time
environment.

This 32-bit run-time environment is meant for already
existing 32-bit applications, specifically those provided
by Independent Software Vendors (ISVs).

Subsequently our 32-bit environment will not support the
development of 32-bit applications. Please use the
native 64-bit tools and framework,

Andreas