[sles-beta] Beta 3, "startx" as non-root fails

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Fri Mar 21 16:34:21 MDT 2014

Hello Joe and all,

I remember a discussion ~1year ago,
but not the details (will check on monday),
and it might be a security feature
(the screenshots support this idea: see the last two lines!).

I know, I know, ...:-(

However, if it really is a security feature,
I will have to prepare the battle carefully:
it will be a battle against myself,
wearing the security hat --
and usually security wins.

Enjoy the weekend -
MgE

On 21. März 2014 20:05:58 MEZ, Joe Doupnik <jrd at netlab1.net> wrote:
>    As an ordinary user on SLES, login to the console and give command
>startx. After a significant pause the command fails. Attached is a
>screen capture of it.
>     Root, by contrast, does get the Gnome GUI.
>   As a test I did   chmod a+w /var/log   as root, returned to being a
>normal user and tried again. Still failure, as shown in the second
>screen capture.
>     Running as a VMware ESXi guest.
>     Joe D.

Sent from mobile. Please excuse my brevity.