[sles-beta] SLES12 network interface names

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Mon Mar 24 08:57:34 MDT 2014

Hi Olaf

>So, will vmware leave at least the MAC address intact?
Yes unless the type of driver changes in the VM client config, e.g.from Intel to vmxnet3, the MAC keeps being the same. But this is a different story.

See, my concern is, that I usually have to install a server remotely without having seen the HW before.
The only thing I have, is the MAC I can get either by API from the HP Proliant ILO remote console, or by API from the VMware Vspere client configuration.

In both cases I then need to "translate" the MAC of the first interface in the list to some name to generate my autoinst.xml
In my case the first interface in the list is cabled and has an open Firewall as setup interface for network setup.

Best regards

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie