[sles-beta] SLES12 network interface names

Simon Flood S.M.Flood at ucs.cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 09:10:33 MDT 2014

On 24/03/2014 14:57, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

> And because of such problems ifconfig was declared obsolete
> decades ago and we have "ip link".

That may be but "ifconfig" tells me what I'm looking for (IP address
details) whereas "ip link" doesn't. Whilst "ip addr" is better it's
still not as useful.

If I just wanted interface names I could instead do "ls /sys/class/net"
but "ifconfig" is shorter.

At the moment I can see having to write a script that iterates the
enoXXXXXXXX interfaces to come up with rules that renames them back to
something more sensible (ethX). Whilst stupid it at least fixes
post-install but I still have a big question about auto-installs.
--
Simon Flood
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner