[sles-beta] Comments on wicked in today's presentations

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Tue Mar 25 05:22:41 MDT 2014

Hi all
Thank you Joe for this discussion, Thank you Olaf and Thorsten for your answers

My concern is the NIC device naming:

See my aim is to set up SLES 12 using autoyast.
I do have more than 1000 Linux installations here, SLES, RHEL and Debian.
The first choice is autoyast, because of its flexibility in doing configurations after the installation.
As I mentioned already I do have to set up my servers remotely, getting only the MAC by API from v-spere or HP ProLiant remote console.
Fixed IP address, hostname, type of server and its final function I get from our CMDB.
To create the autoyast profile I need to put in some name or alias for network device, else the entire process does not work.

I do have HP Blade servers connected FCoE, where the NIC needs to get bonded during installation.
On top of the bond0 device I do have either VLAN tagged interfaces or a whole bunch of logical devices, depends the function webserver with specific private domains, or proxy server.
Of course I do also have a number of backup servers, where bonding is done over 8 NICs in 802.3ad LACP mode.
In all these cases, short NIC names are crucial.
And in all these cases , the possibility to have autoyast done it in an automated way is most important.

So what ever does run "under the hood" I expect autoyast can cope with.

SLES for me does mean enterprise release, because the methods and architecture released with the GA release do not change anymore over the lifetime of one mayor release. Service pack updates can be done easily using zypper dup in online mode, and the changes are sustainable for all kind of middleware installed above SLES.

So I see, the change to SystemD and the change in network engine are kind of big leap forward.

But please keep in mind the basic need:
easy automated remote setup and operation and above all no change in method over the entire lifetime of the release.

Best regards

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie