[sles-beta] SLES12 x86_64 Beta3 autoyast issue /etc/hosts no hostname entry

Marius Tomaschewski mt at suse.de
Wed Mar 26 01:52:37 MDT 2014

Am 25.03.2014 17:02, schrieb urs.frey at post.ch:
> Hi
Hi!

BTW: You don't need to add me to Cc -- I'm on the list too :-)

I don't have much clue about all the yast2 stuff -- I'm one from
the backend (wicked + sysconfig) side.... but let's try:

> In my autoinst.xml I do have DNS and hostname definition included.
> But on the installed server in /etc/hosts there gets only localhost defined,
 > the entry of the own IP address and hostname is missing
>
>    <networking>
>      <dns>
>        <dhcp_hostname config:type="boolean">false</dhcp_hostname>

AFAIS, this causes to set DHCLIENT_SET_HOSTNAME="no"

>        <dhcp_resolv config:type="boolean">false</dhcp_resolv>

A "grep -rl dhcp_resolv $(rpm -ql autoyast2-installation)" does not show
any match.

>        <domain>pnet.ch</domain>
>        <hostname>h063uz</hostname>

-> AFAIS, it causes to write $hostname.$domain into /etc/HOSTNAME

>        <nameservers config:type="list">
>          <nameserver>10.1.121.11</nameserver>
>          <nameserver>10.2.121.11</nameserver>
>        </nameservers>

-> NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS

>        <searchlist config:type="list">
>          <search>pnet.ch</search>
>          <search>post.ch</search>
>        </searchlist>

-> NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST

>      </dns>
[...]

> /etc/hosts file I get
>
> h063uz:~ # cat /etc/hosts
[...]
> h063uz:~ #

IMO it looks fine with this profile.

> Do I look at the wrong end? I mean in all our /etc/hosts files there is an entry
> When I do install the very same server manually and configure the network in yast2
 > I do end up with an /etc/hosts entry
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 10.226.154.19   h063uz.pnet.ch h063uz

This is caused by the yast2 only setting WRITE_HOSTNAME_TO_HOSTS=yes [it
is never used by anything else] -- default is "no" and it may be
set by some per-product defaults.

Note: it disables dns lookups for the own hostname & ip completely
and may break things.

I'd say, you profile is missing this statement in <dns>:

    <write_hostname config:type="boolean">true</write_hostname>

Gruesse / Regards,
  Marius Tomaschewski <mt at suse.de>, <mt at suse.com>
--
  SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg),
  GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer,