[sles-beta] Problem with LVM and BTRFS

etso-srva-linux etso_srva_linux at mpsa.com
Tue Apr 8 03:30:40 MDT 2014

Hi all !

In Beta4 (and also Beta3) I try to install my server with the following disk configuration: LVM with BTRFS for system and no separate partition for /home (so I have /home as a BTRFS subvolume).
This configuration seems good for our case because it's easier to manipulate VG/LV instead of device name or UUID.
I saw during the installation that's YaST has created a partition for /boot (sounds strange because I was thinking that GRUB2 can boot on LV) and another partition for the entire BTRFS volume.
The problem is that /boot/grub2/i386-pc and /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi are BTRFS subvolumes on top of a ext4 filesystem and that don't work! And so the boot is hanging (on the /boot mount and the /boot/grub2/* subvolume too).

So, are BTRFS subvolumes on LVM supported?
And is there a way to boot from LV?

Regards,
PSA Peugeot Citroën
Equipe Système SuSE
Devulder Loïc
DP/DSIN/ASTI/ETSO/SRVA
Tél. Permanence N3 : 33 09 01
Tél. Permanence N4 : 22 92 40

Ce message peut contenir des informations confidentielles. S'il ne vous est pas destiné, merci de le détruire et d'informer immédiatement son émetteur. Pour plus d'informations relatives à la confidentialité et à la sécurité veuillez consulter http://disclaimer.psa-peugeot-citroen.com.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately and delete this message. For further information on confidentiality and the risks inherent in electronic communication see http://disclaimer.psa-peugeot-citroen.com.