[sles-beta] Beta 5 and VMware-tools

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Mon Apr 21 11:55:34 MDT 2014

     There seems to be a problem with SLES beta 5 and installation of
VMware tools (ESXi 5.5 U1). After many attempts at installing the tools
by normal means I asked the installer to remove the open-vm material.
The VMware installer still got stuck. I went into YaST and removed
open-vm-*. No progress. Each time the VMware installer goes to sleep
when building kmods.
     Finally I told the installer to not attempt automatic updating
(open-vm is gone) and the process completed. However, vmware-tools
status and the ESXi screen shows tools to be not running. Restarting the
vmware-tools service did not help.
     What does not help in such work is the nearly total hiding of which
services are available and their state. Yes, I know, there is a long
talky command which, alas, completely slips my mind. The last time I
tried it the screen scrolled and scrolled, not good for mere humans. The
more direct /etc/init.d/ file listing is much more direct and useful.
     I will go through this whole process again with a fresh
installation, on the off chance that I did something peculiar.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.