[sles-beta] Beta 5 and VMware-tools

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Wed Apr 23 07:42:53 MDT 2014

     The key word is "if". We don't know that. There are various
versions of VMware hypervisor in use, little is known about how the
open-vmware tools fit into that puzzle and what it does/does not support
in the way of features.
     Let's look at this geometrically, for welcomed relief. There is
VMware, there are SUSE virtual machines, and sandwiched between is a set
of tools. There are two interfaces involved. At the moment VMware-tools
matches the hypervisor version of choice. The third party open-vmware
offering hopefully (that ambiguous word) works with both sides today
(not necessarily true in the recent past), yet it is a third party to be
coordinated with the other two by means still unknown. The SUSE part of
things changed so that the VMware tools will not build with our v12 beta
5 material; again the reasons are unknown.
     How this situation will evolve during our beta is also unknown.
     Which of these approaches offers least risk and broad version
coverage? Risk includes what the vendors involved will accept as a
proper systems component when fingers are pointed. That's a description
of what is concerning us about this situation.
     Joe D.