[sles-beta] Beta 5 and VMware-tools

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Thu May 1 01:42:38 MDT 2014

Hi Bo

Thank you very much for your concern and explanations.
See you only mention open-vm-tools.
But there are the VMwareTools coming with the ESXi release itself.
So there are two branches of VMwareTools obviously having different states at VMware itself in being supported, propagated and displayed in vSphere.

Here in my place we do have an architecture board which carefully observes all points concerning supportability, certification matrices and also functionality itself.
So it is not me, deciding what is allowed to use for production.
As long as open-vm-tools are not stated green in vSphere display and do obviously not have the same state with VMware support itself, I will have to use the professional VMwareTools coming with ESXi release.
This is strict and I can not help it.

So the point is, that VMware internal there is a problem with the handling of the two branches on VMwareTools.
This should be resolved preventing an oncoming support ping-pong on the back of the end-user.

Best regards

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie