[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Thu May 15 07:37:33 MDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 12:23 +0000, Pieter Hollants wrote:
> And as long as your next German flight's security is guaranteed by
> months-taking software approval procedures, we need ISOs, not online
> repos.

Possibly a naive question, but with such a software approval procedure
how do you handle the deployment of software patches?

In high security environments, I totally understand the need to prevent
servers from direct internet access, but surely you still need to apply
patches to your servers? Isn't this even more important for web
scripting languages like PHP, which are often a common vector for
attack?

SUSE don't supply patches via ISOs, but provide SMT and SUSE Manager to
give ways of getting those patches to internet-disconnected machines. It
looks to me that Modules would slot into these two products in the same
way that Patch sources do.

(as an aside, SLE 12 in my test environment is autodetecting nearby SMT
and SUSE Manager servers and offering to register against them instead
of SCC. I haven't tested this yet)

I see some benefit of being able to install PHP via an ISO, but after
anything longer than a few weeks I'd be deathly concerned about putting
it in production, as it would be unpatched and therefore most likely
vulnerable.

  Richard Brown, QA Engineer
  Phone +4991174053-361,  Fax +4991174053-483
  SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  Maxfeldstr. 5,  D-90409 Nuernberg
  Geschaeftsfuehrer: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer,
  HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)