[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Pieter Hollants pieter.hollants at dfs.de
Thu May 15 08:19:26 MDT 2014

Similar here. I had stupid discussions with so-called system managers that complained about RAID controllers requiring an admin intervention when a hard disk is plugged in, because they were expecting a JBOD mode that wasn't supported on that particular RAID controller (but on smaller models). When asked why in heaven's sake they would carry around hard disks, they said "well, to roll out updates". And added, external hard drives would be too slow, even with USB 3.0. When I asked how they tested USB 3.0 when no standard server from the big vendors supports USB 3.0 yet, the answer was "well we plugged in a USB 3.0 controller"... then again, I asked what sort of updates they distribute, that would need entire hard disks. The answer finally blew me: "Well, we dd the partitions over after we make changes. And no, we don't trust rsync."

So while this example anecdote of concrete wall-style administration is off-topic, it illustrates that we really do need ISOs. And I could live with "just one ISO with all addons" just as well. The process that won't work is that I manually collect RPMs from whatever online source, that won't scale.

And while in our case PHP is but a smaller culprit, it is imaginable that the decision affects eg. Python as well?