[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Fri May 16 10:12:37 MDT 2014

Hello Alan,

On 2014-05-16 T 15:08 +0000 Beddingfield, Allen wrote:

> There are many questions to be answered here by
> someone from SUSE:

> 1.  Can someone give us details of  how the module
> system is supposed to be implemented?

> 2.  How does one go about knowing what modules are
> available?

> 3.  Will there be a php 5.5.x module, later one for
> 5.6.x, etc...  or will there be one big repo with
> php55* and php56&* packages?

> 4.  What other packages will be handled this way
> (python? ruby? tomcat?)

> 5.  If this is to be implemented, what will be the
> release cycle/lifecycle?  Are we going to get faster
> releases of php, etc...  via new repos or new packages
> in a repo?  If so, that would be great for fending off
> our Ubuntu-loving web developers.

> 6.  Is it going to be considered some sort of license
> violation or violation of terms of service if a person
> adds the "module", installs the RPMs, and then removes
> the repo?

> 7.  Is there some plan to completely modularize the
> distro, and have a stripped-down OS install, and
> everything provided as a series of modules?  If so, I
> personally think that would be horrible.

Good questions, which I will answer either implicitly or
explicitly in my presentation on 2014-05-26. Which
brings us to the last question:

> 8.  Why spring this on everyone now, at beta 6, with
> no announcement, and it just gets discovered by a few
> of us in testing?

Timing issues on multiple fronts (technology,
implementation, beta presentation session planning,
availability of people including myself), unfortunatly.
I apologize.

> Was this planned all along, or was it a last minute
> inclusion?

This was not planned short notice, but over a longer
period of time, otherwise the integration with the
SCC and all that stuff would not be there.

Let's continue to discuss Monday in 10 day.

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com