[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Darren Thompson darrent at akurit.com.au
Sun May 18 17:27:56 MDT 2014

Lars and beta Team

I have stood out of this discussion so far but feel I need to make a
contribution.

With the SLES deployment I have done for clients, approx zero were setup
with immediate internet access as all clients have stick protocols
regarding server builds and access to internet for servers.

Even when we have SMT/Zenworks servers available, it's NEVER been
considered good form to have patches installed at build time (how do you
get to a "know good" build state if you are changing packages "on the
fly"?).

The installation media should be all that's needed for a complete server OS
install. If there are "critical" issue with the installation media, it
should be reissued with the fixes integrated.

I'm not saying that server should not be fully patched, that is also a
critical requirement for all of my customers, although what qualifies as
"fully patched" does also need to meet vendor support requisitions of the
mission critical third party apps. There are some critical application
pieces from large companies (I will call out Oracle specifically here)
where the "vendor support matrix" is almost NEVER the current patch level.

If the build process REQUIRES on-line registration and patching, then the
build process is wrong.

Regards
Darren