[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Mon May 19 01:11:19 MDT 2014

Hello Darren and all,

On 2014-05-19 T 09:27 +1000 Darren Thompson wrote:

> I have stood out of this discussion so far but feel I
> need to make a contribution.

[...]

> Even when we have SMT/Zenworks servers available,
> it's NEVER been considered good form to have patches
> installed at build time (how do you get to a "know
> good" build state if you are changing packages "on
> the fly"?).

you really should have a look how we have solved it,
before involving into the discussion. It's not that

If that were not enough, SMT or -- more powerful --
SUSE Manager will help you to manage your systems.

> The installation media should be all that's needed
> for a complete server OS install. If there are
> "critical" issue with the installation media, it
> should be reissued with the fixes integrated.
[...]
> If the build process REQUIRES on-line registration
> and patching, then the build process is wrong.

I am afraid, this is contradicting the requirements we
get all over all: Isn't it fair to say that patching
via RPMs is the "industry standard"? And this is how we
provide fixes for any issues - and even features and
enhancements, if there is a critical mass of customers
requesting this.

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com