[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Tue May 20 07:01:55 MDT 2014

Josef,
     I have dealt with SLP since it first arose decades ago as a way of
finding printers with duplex printing and colour.
     First, do not use multicast or broadcast for services. Those are
dandy on a home/SOHO network. They don't work or survive when routers
are encountered nor when the local wires have lots of other strange
things (think running in the rack of an ISP somewhere). It may work in
one spot but not in the room across the hall (different subnets). Many
servers reject multi/broadcast traffic. Thus dependence on
multi/broadcast is to ensure failure, and you designed it that way.
     As stated previously, believing and acting on multi/broadcast
traffic is naive (at best). It is akin to "Click Here." Sound
engineering practice does not countenance such acts.
     Second, SLP has the loose notion of SCOPES where both clients and
servers can rendezvous on one of many SCOPE names. That means
configuration details, else failure. It does not scale at all. But you
designed it that way.
     Third, SLP requires existing SLP serving software be running on the
network and within radar range of all clients. That becomes an
assumption without which many SLP clients will fail, and you designed it
that way.
     DNS has the facilities to resolve names to numbers. It scales. It
is already present. Use unicast to speak to known points.
     These matters were understood about twenty years ago. My Brainshare
presentation on SLP is long since lost in the mists of time. The above
points should be sufficient warning to abandon it. Auto discovery is
designed to fail, as I may have mentioned.
     Joe D.