[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Tue May 20 09:18:15 MDT 2014

Hello Simon and all,

On 2014-05-20 T 15:54 +0100 Simon Flood wrote:

> I was keeping quiet after my last set of messages in
> this thread as I was going to wait until Matthias'
> Modules presentation in the hope that would explain
> everything and answer any possible questions.

I appreciate that, and looking forward to provide and
discuss that presentation. However, you may have run
into a bug, thus I am commenting now as well.

> Having just done a basic install of SLES12 Beta6 I
> want to test PHP.  Since it's not included in ISO (I
> did a network install, booting from mini ISO but
> referencing DVD ISO accessible via HTTP) I thought I'd
> try the registration process (other than preferring
> SUSEConnect was all lowercase that seems to have gone
> well) thinking that would then allow me access to the
> Modules whereby I can get PHP.

So, you registered after the initial installation?

> It didn't so I patched, first zypper then everything
> else which required a reboot.  Oh great my VM won't
> subsequently boot due to a kernel panic!

Just in case you have the chance to register at
installation time: in this case you will see a
check-box asking you, if you want to update directly
at installation time or not.

The access to the modules is _independent_ of your
choice there. Once you have registered, you have access
to the modules, the update channels, as well as the SDK
and extensions.  You are free to chose and skip those
independently of each other. -- If this is not
independent, you found a bug, and we'd appreciate a
Service Request.

If you register in an already installed system, the
process includes calling the repository management (YaST
or zypper) afterwards, to enable / disable the
respective channels.

And yes, agreed, documentation about this is due.

> Oh and I've just thought how I can test PHP with
> SLES12 (assuming I can fix or reinstall my VM) ... by
> downloading the source and compiling myself, something
> I thought SUSE wanted to help me avoid!

We definitely provide supported PHP packages, and we
don't want you to compile, indeed.

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com