[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Tony Ernst tee at sgi.com
Tue May 20 11:52:20 MDT 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 05:18:15PM +0200, Matthias G. Eckermann wrote:
> If you register in an already installed system, the
> process includes calling the repository management (YaST
> or zypper) afterwards, to enable / disable the
> respective channels.

Hi Matthias,

I just registered an already installed system. It gave me a list of modules
to choose from, including the SDK. I added the Web Scripting module.

I then fired up yast and opened Software Management. I see that I now have
a channel called SLE-MODULE-WEB-SCRIPTING12-Pool. The channel contains both
python and php packages.

I was suprised to see that the python packages were already installed.
I found that they were installed as part of base SLES12. But they will
presumably get updates via the Web Scripting channel. That's exactly
the model that people have been asking for with php! Just ship a base
version in SLES12, and updates via the Web Scripting channel. Yes, the
base packages will be outdated soon after the release, but so will python
(and all of the other sles12 packages). Why is php treated differently
than python?

I understand that you're reluctant to put php in the base because you're
afraid that customers won't update it. But forcing a customer to add the
Web Scripting module doesn't make them any more likely to install future
updates later.

I'd like to explain our particular use case, because I think it's different
than most of the people who have been commenting on this.

When we install a machine in Manufacturing, we do a default base install.
We can't register the system, because the customer needs to be able to do
that with their own account. We have software that requires php, so that
means we are going to have to get the php packages from somewhere (SMT?)
and manually install them on all systems before they ship. That has the
same result as Suse including php in the SLES12 base, except now it will
just be more work for us.

Regards,
Tony

--