[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Wed May 21 01:51:20 MDT 2014

Hi
When guessing and discussing about the new ideas of SUSE delivering software and trying to register against NCC or SCC whatever..

We do have already an example in the present SLES12 Beta6 YAST installer. When initializing the software manager, there is a hard coded download of the release notes from https://www.suse.com; - timeout 5minutes.
This timeout of course gets multiplied by the number of network interfaces physically present on the server.

2014-05-16 06:11:21 <1> h063uz(3730) [Ruby] clients/inst_download_release_notes.rb:111 Downloading release notes: /usr/bin/curl --location --verbose --fail --

max-time 300   'https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/RELEASE-NOTES.en.rtf' --output '/tmp/YaST2-03730-kp1K67/relnotes' > '/var/log/YaST2/curl

_log' 2>&1 returned 7

So within the YAST installer the priority is set to the release notes instead of a smooth installation.

My simple question is:
When does SUSE finally understand that in a high productivity environment security and firewalls do play a crucial role?

A high productivity environment is what the majority of us end-users are faced with. No internet access on all servers. So with the above hard coded download the majority of us gets bored with waiting for nothing. Why: just because it is simpler to download well formatted rtf release notes from www.suse.com<http://www.suse.com>, than to deal with rpms.
I need to deploy within minutes I will never be reading release notes while installing.
Here from my point of view SUSE does set the priority on the wrong part.

I technically understand, why a subscription registration is important to get my php channel delivered. This has to do with the NU mechanism getting zypper and therefore the software manager all allowed NU repositories upon registration, making php available.
BUT from my point of view, making the download of opensource software dependent of a subscription registration is contradictory to the opensource license and opensource idea itself.

To download opensource software, there must not be any registration dependency. Only when there is need for support and updates, this needs a support service and therefore a subscription registration.

So in my place I need to deploy fast and smooth and afterwards, when everything is set up I will register against SMT.
SMT is the only connector to SUSE allowed here.
My SMT is physically separated in a DMZ and also physically separated from the frozen SUSE production update repositories.
In fact, SMT does download the updates and register etc, but all services used for production are physically separated in a different zone from SMT for security reasons.

When looking at SUSEConnect there is really no usable help around about what to enter when trying to register. It is the same pain as I had with suse_register and dealing with firewalls etc.

So once again:
When does SUSE finally understand that in a high productivity environment security and firewalls do play a crucial role?

Thanks

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie